St. Barnabas relies on our parent volunteers to execute many of our special events and activities for students and families throughout the school year. We are fortunate to have a very active and dedicated parent community to support our school, but we are always excited to welcome new parent volunteers into our school community!
- All volunteers work under the direction and approval of the school principal.
- As of June 2009, all parent volunteers in any capacity, from working in small group settings, coaching or going on field trips, must fulfill these requirements:
- Complete the Archdiocesan online criminal background check
- Read and sign the Archdiocesan Code of Conduct
- Fill out the DCFS background check (CANTS form) each year
- Attend a three-hour training session (Virtus), “Protecting All God’s Children”
- NEW for 2021-2022 School Year: All parent volunteers must provide the school with a copy of your Covid vaccine card or proof of a negative Covid test within 72 hours of any volunteer commitment time.
- These requirements must be met before working with children. Information and forms can be found at www.virtusonline.org.
For the safety of our students, all volunteers at St. Barnabas School must complete VIRTUS training through the Archdiocese of Chicago. Please read the tips and complete the steps below to become VIRTUS-trained and maintain your standing. We greatly appreciate you sharing your time and talents with us!
Background Check Tips
Go to www.virtusonline.org
- First Time Registrants
- Select Chicago, IL
- Create a user ID
- Create a password
- Fill out personal information
- Location: St. Barnabas Chicago
- Choose: Volunteer
- Answer additional questions
- Electronically sign and print DCFS/Code of Conduct forms and submit to school office
- Complete online background check
- Choose: Attend Virtus class
- Submit Virtus certificate to school office
Note: If you have attended the Virtus class but failed to do an online background check, please contact Sheri Jendra at firstname.lastname@example.org. A link will need to be provided in your current Virtus Account in order for you to complete the online background check.
Volunteering @SB for the 2021-2022 School Year
Parents Please note: In order to volunteer for ANY activities at St. Barnabas School, including field trips, 8th grade events, Service Day, etc. ALL parents/guardians MUST fulfill all archdiocesan requirements. Any indoor events also require either proof of a Covid vaccination or proof of a negative Covid test within 72 hours of any volunteer commitment.
Submit your Annual Volunteer Forms ASAP!
Volunteering this year will take some extra effort on everyone’s part. Every returning volunteer should sign into their Virtus account and make sure everything is updated ASAP, including your compliance forms, which you can update at www.virtus.org (CANTS 22A, CANTS 689 and ASB forms) and email/scan to Mrs. Sheri Jendra at email@example.com. The Archdiocese of Chicago is currently taking up to two weeks for processing and approval, so please allow extra time when planning to volunteer!
New this year, all volunteers also must complete Mandated Reporter Training online and email/scan the certificate of completion to Mrs. Jendra. Mandated Reporter Training can be found at www.archchicago.org. Once on the page, click: Child Protection > Compliance Resources > Training.
This year, we will also need either a copy of your Covid vaccine card or proof of a negative Covid test within 72 hours of any volunteer commitment time. Please email a photo of your vaccine card and any questions to Mrs. Jendra.