St. Barnabas relies on our parent volunteers to execute many of our special events and activities for students and families throughout the school year. We are fortunate to have a very active and dedicated parent community to support our school, but we are always excited to welcome new parent volunteers into our school community!
- All volunteers work under the direction and approval of the school principal.
- As of June 2009, all parent volunteers in any capacity, from working in small group settings, coaching or going on field trips, must fulfill these requirements:
- Complete the Archdiocesan online criminal background check
- Read and electronically sign the Archdiocesan Standards of Behavior (ASB) form
- Read, sign and return both CANTS 689/22
- Complete a training session (Virtus), “Protecting All God’s Children”
- Complete a Mandated Reporter Training online
- These requirements must be met before working with children. Information and forms can be found at www.virtusonline.org.
For the safety of our students, all volunteers at St. Barnabas School must complete VIRTUS training through the Archdiocese of Chicago. Please read the tips and complete the steps below to become VIRTUS-trained and maintain your standing. We greatly appreciate you sharing your time and talents with us!
Background Check Tips
Go to www.virtusonline.org
- First Time Registrants
- Select Chicago, IL
- Create a user ID
- Create a password
- Fill out personal information
- Location: St. Barnabas Chicago
- Choose: Volunteer
- Answer additional questions
- Electronically sign and print DCFS/Code of Conduct forms and submit to school office
- Complete online background check
- Choose: Attend Virtus class
- Submit Virtus certificate to school office
Note: If you have attended the Virtus class but failed to do an online background check, please contact Sheri Jendra at [email protected] A link will need to be provided in your current Virtus Account in order for you to complete the online background check.
Volunteering @SB for the 2022-2023 School Year
Parents Please note: In order to volunteer for ANY activities at St. Barnabas School, including field trips, 8th grade events, Service Day, etc. ALL parents/guardians MUST fulfill all archdiocesan requirements. The Archdiocese of Chicago is currently taking up to two weeks for processing and approval, so please allow extra time when planning to volunteer!
Submit your Annual Volunteer Forms ASAP!
Volunteering this year will take some extra effort on everyone’s part. Since all volunteers were deactivated last year due to Covid, everyone must reactivate with the Arch.
Every returning volunteer should sign into their Virtus account and make sure everything is updated ASAP, including your compliance forms, which you can update at www.virtus.org (CANTS 22, CANTS 689 and ASB forms) and email/scan to Mrs. Sheri Jendra at [email protected]
New this year, all volunteers also must complete Mandated Reporter Training online and email/scan the certificate of completion to Mrs. Jendra. Mandated Reporter Training can be found at www.archchicago.org. Once on the page, click: Child Protection > Compliance Resources > Training.