Volunteering & Parent Involvement
- All volunteers work under the direction and approval of the school principal.
- As of June 2009, all parent volunteers in any capacity, from working in small group settings, coaching or going on field trips, must fulfill these requirements:
- Complete the Archdiocesan online criminal background check
- Read and sign the Archdiocesan Code of Conduct
- Fill out the DCFS background check (CANTS form) each year
- Attend a three-hour training session (Virtus), “Protecting All God’s Children”
- These requirements must be met before working with children. Information and forms can be found at www.virtusonline.org.
For the safety of our students, all volunteers at St. Barnabas School must complete VIRTUS training through the Archdiocese of Chicago. Please read the tips and complete the steps below to become VIRTUS-trained and maintain your standing. We greatly appreciate you sharing your time and talents with us!
Background Check Tips
Go to www.virtusonline.org
- First Time Registrants
- Select Chicago, IL
- Create a user ID
- Create a password
- Fill out personal information
- Location: St. Barnabas Chicago
- Choose: Volunteer
- Answer additional questions
- Electronically sign and print DCFS/Code of Conduct forms and submit to school office
- Complete online background check
- Choose: Attend Virtus class
- Submit Virtus certificate to school office
Note: If you have attended the Virtus class but failed to do an online background check, please contact Sheri Jendra at firstname.lastname@example.org. A link will need to be provided in your current Virtus Account in order for you to complete the online background check.